Saturday, January 23, 2010

Kingston Rally Was a Huge Success Great Turnout

The rally in Kingston was a huge success. The town hall meeting beforehand was standing room only, and was represented by a cross section of ages and political stripes.

I actually found enough courage to speak ... yeah ... just announcing my debate Monday on The Current.

I was hoping to get some input from people attending today's event. The journalist I will be debating suggests that the media created this and that Canadians don't really care about the prorogation or the Afghan detainee issue.

I can assure you that everyone there was concerned about both.

One woman I spoke with said that she was 77 years old and this was the first time she was ever compelled to attend a protest rally. Several stated that they became active after last year's prorogation. Another mentioned that she really wanted to get involved in politics and I directed her to several of the local candidates and riding association members.

I really wanted this to be non-partisan, stressing instead the need for people to get involved in the political process.

I saw that today.

The highlight was a concert by the Raging Grannies, or rather a sing along. It was great. They belong to the Ottawa group and you can visit their website here.

You can also download the words to their songs here. I think I'm going to have to post more on this group. They are very inspirational.

2 comments:

  1. Emily,

    Thank you for blogging about this event...I was grateful to play a small role in the citizen-organized rally, and the day's events gave me a renewed sense of vigour in the fight to replace this government with something more accountable and responsive.

    Daniel J. Beals
    Kingston New Democrats

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Daniel. I saw you the other night at the Prison Farms meeting. Glad you are taking an active interest in our community.

    I'm going to be blogging soon on that. Have you joined Canadians Against Proroguing Parliament? We are now actively promoting all progressive parties, encouraging people to donate money and get involved in the poltiical process.

    Keep getting your message out. We are taking this country back one vote at a time.

    ReplyDelete